Configuring OBS for Slipmat & YouTube

How to Setup OBS for Slipmat.io

You will need to download OBS Classic or Studio, the difference between the two is OBS Classic will allow you stream mp3. Where OBS Studio is a complete rewrite of the original OBS from the ground up, with the main goals being multi platform support, a more thorough feature set, and a much more powerful API.

OBS Classic

OBS Studio

As you can see in Studio Mode using OBS Studio you can preview and or edit your other scenes before you transition to them where in OBS Classic there no preview of your scene.

For this set of instructions we will be using OBS Studio but the setting are about the same for OBS Classic just the interface is slightly different.

General

Pretty much you can leave this as a default.

Stream

• Select one of the included Services (Activate show all services to see the full list in the dropdown) or change the Stream Type to Custom Streaming Server
  • Select the server or enter its URL
  • Enter the Streamkey from Youtube

If you prefer to have customize setting click on the Stream Type and select Custom Streaming Server. If you haven’t done so you need to setup your Youtube account for live streaming, you can tell by going to your account and in the top right hand corner where your logo is and select

from there you should see LIve Streaming and if you expand that you should have Stream Now [Beta]

From here you should be able to get your Server URL and Stream Name/Key Information

Output

• Simple Mode allows you to Stream with the set Bitrate/Encoder and Record using a preset (Same as stream/High Quality/Indist.Quality and Lossless) and a different Encoder (if available)

For setting your Video Bitrate according to your upload speed check out these two website

• OBS Estimator - Will help you determine the best setting based on your computer, video card, upload speed and resolution.

According the setting if you wish to implement the recommendations you have to change to Advanced Mode gives you further options to configure your Stream and Recording independently if you want to.

• Set your Video Bitrate according to your upload speed and the limitations of the service you use (for example 3500 kbps max)
  • Set your Audio Bitrate accordingly (around 256 kbps for streaming, lower if you have a low upload speed)
  • For Recording
  • Set your Recording Path
  • Select the desired Recording Quality and Format
  • Select a Hardware Encoder if available (only if you use a different preset than “same as stream” and if a Hardware Encoder is available)

Audio

• Change the Sampling Rate
  • Select up to two Desktop Audio Device’s
  • Select up to three Microphone/Auxiliary Device’s
  • Enable Push-to-mute or Push-to-talk for each device (linked to the Hotkeys settings)

Configure the audio to what are you going to use to stream your audio from

Video

• Base (Canvas) Resolution should fit to your Main Input Resolution (Desktop Monitor, Console, Game Resolution)
  • Output (Scaled) Resolution should be the Stream Output Resolution (720p,480p,etc). Leave on default if you want to use the scaling options under Advanced Output.
  • Common FPS Value should match your desired output FPS (30/60 for example)

Youtube Live encoder settings, bitrates and resolutions - This give you base information for setting of streaming video such as 1080p, 720p @ 60 fps and the output resolution

Hotkeys

• Set Hotkeys to Start/Stop Streaming/Recording
  • to Hide/Show Sources
  • for Push To Talk /Push To Mute
  • to Switch to a specific Scene​

You could spend a lot of time setting this all up so I will leave this up to you if you want to spend the time filling this in :).

Advanced

• Change the Filename Formatting (or use folders: %CCYY%MM%DD%hh-%mm-%ss = 2016 \ 07 \ 10 \ 12:35:25.flv)
  • Activate Stream Delay
  • Configure Automatic Reconnect
    Do not touch anything else in Advanced unless you absolutely know what you’re doing.

The only thing I would recommend to change is enabling Automatically Reconnect and set the retry delay (seconds) to 0, this way for any reason you might get disconnect it will reconnect with a minor hiccup for the listeners.

Thanks Slipmat.io

6 Likes

It should be here too i guess.

All credits for that goes to Vagmo.

1 Like

You should not be running your mp3 audio under 320kbps. The sound quality will be horrible with the fact that there will be frequencies that will be lost and replaced with digital noise. Average internet speed can handle 320kbps audio and 30fps video. 320kbps is the standard bitrate for cds, so let that sink in. Also, your sample rate should be at 48kHz if you are running video as well. 44.1kHz is absolutely fine if it’s just for audio. Above, I know, is just a basic guideline for getting setup. Just keep in mind the sound quality and sample rates.

Well, it was Vagmo’s streaming guide, not mine. And not sure what 128kbps was used for mp3 and not for the aac one. Personally im use 128 aac too at 44100 with 10fps video and it seems to work fine.

It works, but quality is awful. I’ll send a link in a second and edit this. By the way, I’m schooled in this area. Music Production Technology (Audio Engineering) Degree. Two links below will help with understanding why. Start with top one when you get the chance. I hope you change your settings for a more professional sound :smiley:

Not sure about this, Just for compare

http://soundexpert.org/encoders-128-kbps

And some broadcasting sites just lower down the quality to 128kbps too, which has no reason to change my settings[quote=“DJErb, post:6, topic:73”]
for a more professional sound
[/quote]

:smiley:

Reason for lower, is for smaller files, but it WILL sound worse. Trust a pro or google? Hmm…Also, I post in Mix With The Maters (Steven Slate [CEO]), and they approve. You don’t have to believe me, but I am correct. 320kbps is still bad when compared to .wav at 24bit…OBS recommended is at 256, so why go even lower and lose more correct sound and replace it with digital noise? I’m only talking about audio, because I do not know the details of video, but if you want to mix video and audio you will have to up your sample rate from 44.1 to 48kHz. I am spitting useful knowledge to our group, and you are sharing stuff from google when you don’t even know the stuff yourself. Please, stop and let people learn the correct way. Watch the videos like I said, and hear for yourself. You just said “Not sure about this”, well I am sure, and you can ask any pro audio engineer and they will tell you the same. Also, the site you just gave me proves I’m right. Click on 128 and then click on 320…See the difference? You need to realize that you were not schooled nor know this area, so googling real fast will never surpass my knowledge in this field. No disrespect, but leave this area to me.

About which difference we speaking now if at end it will be lower to 128kbps like on Mixify? And MP3 320kbps has a same quality as AAC 128kbps. And yes, im beleive in it, can i?

No. Not just Mixify. I’m talking about everywhere. No 320kbps mp3 is not the same quality as 128kbps AAC. AAC has gotten better, though. Yes, you can believe what you want :smiley:

Thats why i use 128kbps AAC. Audio quality was good enough today, extra tested that on Slipmat. Also 128kbps audio is recomended for youtube streaming too.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en

1 Like

Yes, it is recommended. Although, 320kbps is much better when trying not to lose any frequencies while they are being replicated.

1 Like