Your first DJ gear

Hello there!

I’m interested to hear what was your first DJ gear when you started DJing? My was Numark Mixtrack Pro 3. I bought it from finnish online auction and I got it really cheap. It was surprising good with learning basics and I still have it as a backup.

5 Likes

It was Pioneer XDJ-R1:

I used it only couple months with Traktor Pro 2 before I sold it and changed the manufacturer to Native Instruments (Traktor S8). I have owned Numark, Stanton gears and nowadays I own Denon (x1800+2*SC5000 + Prime4) with Traktor S8. I’m selling my S8. I don’t need it anymore. :wink: Softwares I have used: Traktor Pro 2+3, Serato DJ Pro, Algoriddim Djay Pro 2 and Engine Prime. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mine was Pioneer DDJ SB2. Had a loads fun with it! After one year I changed it to proper mixer with external decks. Good for beginners. Only Serato support, but I mapped it to Traktor, but in the end I didn’t have enough buttons to do everything I wanted. Easy to carry everywhere.

Oh, man. Mine was Denon MC3000 back in 2012. 5/5! :smiley:

This was a purchase after a very careful study of the market. This little beast was built like a tank and had both balanced and unbalanced master out, proper mic channel, perfectly mapped controls for Traktor Pro 2 and pretty decent small jog wheels and pitch faders.

It also had plenty of Denon-esque extra buttons like pitch bend buttons that could be mapped with Traktor to do all kind of cool things. Man, I loved that little controller. I gave mine away for an upcoming DJ but to my knowledge it is still in usable condition to this very day :slight_smile:

My upgrade after this was a pair of used Stanton t. 120C turntables which I still have and love :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nhc:n Nurmark Tracktor 4 track and i buy Tracktor s4

3 Likes

THIS! :slight_smile:
Regards, that upcoming DJ

1 Like

I started with Traktor S4 mk2, It was okay-ish, very plasticky but easy to carry around.
Had fun times with it, also lost my nerves many times with it or Tractor actually, but overall great controller if you just get along with Traktor.
Next upgrade was straight ahead to proper Denon Prime mixer and external players and since then more Denon Prime gear as in Prime4, haven’t regretted a second…

6 Likes

Cerwin Vega PD3 speakers, Yamaha P2100 Amp, GLI PMX9000 Mixer, Technics SLD2 turntables.

3 Likes

Oh man, now I feel old.
I began before the Denon DN-2000F came out so I basically began with 2x Technics SL-1200 and a Ecler mixer. I then was early on the mp3 train with a “portable” computer with built-in screen running PCDJ Red controlled by the DAC-2.
Since I’ve invested in Denon 2500 for my big disco bench but never use it.
I mostly mix videos now in VDJ with Numark N4 controller. Want the NVii but wife will kill me if I buy more junk. :grimacing:

4 Likes

:grin::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Hi, my first gear was back in 1998 a pair of Gemini PT 2000 Turntables and a Gemini 626 3 Channel Mixer. Used this for around 3 Years. Long time ago now…:thinking:

4 Likes

Mine was two numark direct drive turntables and a beirnger mixer that I spilled beer on the first time I played on it so the cross fader dident worknumark_tt1520

5 Likes

I sold my Nintendo 64 with 8 Games, two controllers, rumble & expansion pack for 200€ to buy a reeloop battle mixer… I was very proud but it hurts until today because I payed a lot more for the N64 but it brought me to where I am today as a DJ… started with Reloop battle mixer and a Gemini dual Cd Player that cost me 1000€ and was very bad with a delay time between hitting cue and play… a few years later I got my first turntables called jaytech made of 100% plastic and belt driven… this was a very wobbly and plastics experience but I enjoyed and needed to work with what I could afford… then I got upgraded by a friend with his old Gemini turntables and that was a much more stable experience Bought a behringer djx 700 and gave the jaytechs and reloop Mixer to a friend… my current setup and pics can be found in the Other thread. :v:

4 Likes

I still use the Mixtrack Pro 3 myself pending a move into one of the other big ecosystems (PioneerDJ or DenonDJ). Funny how versatile the little thing is for most things, and how affordable!

4 Likes

I started playing with a single CD player and a Hitachi vinyl player, which weren’t actual DJ equipment. Later on, I added another CD player before moving to Traktor DJ and using keyboard as control surface. Several years later I bought Numark Mixtrack Pro, so I guess that was my first proper DJ equipment. :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t laugh! these Citronic Thames II decks we’re work horses back in the day, mine lasted from 1984 (Originally built 1978) - 1991

9 Likes

:grinning: I’ve suffered many a ‘Drunken Mixer’ - they should be barred from drinking :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I started on 2 plain jane Sony cd players. Talking about hard to mix. Had to find songs that were very close and fade mix or find a break in a song to mix. From there I went to Numark dual deck cd players, then to Pioneer DVJ 1000’s, to Pioneer SEP-C1 and now back to Denon MC7000.

2 Likes

If you need Denon Prime info … let me know. I moved from Numark + Traktor to Denon and no regret :wink:

Looking back, I’m almost embarrassed about this :grin: but it was an ION Discover DJ controller! It didn’t even have a knob for Mids! :man_shrugging:t5::joy::joy::joy::loud_sound::notes::musical_note:

2 Likes