Setting up wildcard SSL for Backstage

Detailed instructions can be found here

Yes I’ve obviously read those and about ten other posts regarding this matter, too. I’m not totally unexperienced around devops-stuff, and I do know how to search for info about a specific task.

To get technical, problem with the setup was that while the wildcard domain works fine with Nginx on basic Django and static setup (ie. running uwsi or static html behind proxy), for some reason forwarding the proxy to the docker image fails and it was extremely hard to debug the issue as it seems to be inside the docker itself and all that gets to the outside nginx and docker logs are generic SSL-failed type of messages.

In other words I need to find a way to get more detailed logs from inside the docker image and/or more information about how the discourse docker build script bootstraps the nxinx SSL/nginx config file. If someone is able to help me with this (other than posting links I’ve probably already read many times) I would appreciate it very much :slight_smile:

It’ll probably be hard to find someone here with the required knowledge.
I suggest to head over to https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker/issues and open an issue about it.

I’m a bit hesitant to open issue about this, because it’s most likely not an issue in docker but a configuration issue, in which case opening an issue on discourse tracker doesn’t help anyone.

And yes, I’m aware that this is probably not something that will get help from this forum, and not expecting it, but wanted to explain the story as it got asked about :slight_smile:

I’ll get another stab at this at some point when I have more time (last time took me over 10 hours and I literally got nowhere. I was at the exactly same place after that where I was when starting, so I’m not really looking forward to it :smiley: )

Yes I know how frustrating that can be! The ‘issues’ page on GitHub is not only used for bugs and stuff, also for questions about the project. It won’t hurt to give it a shot :smiley:

Well, obiviosly we need to read discourse github code to find it out if it not included in documentation, but at first time upgrade discourse to the new version is strongly recommended.

HTTPS support should be as well configured in nginx config file, like in

and app.yml file should contain SSL template as described in
https://leland.me/https-discourse/

P.S. sorry if that information may be unusefull

At the time when I last tried we were at the latest version and currently in latest beta 2, I’m not keen to update to any other than public releases (betas, release candidates, official releases).

I’m quite newbie with Docker in general so I think I’ll start there next. This is not a hot issue right now, though. But we do need to fix this before adding official Backstage links to the main site.

Maybe the upcoming weekend. It’s the first one in few weeks that I actually have some free time. (But hopefully less than it looks now as I’d very much like to go out on a date or do something more fun than debugging Slipmat the whole weekend :smiley: )

No, thanks for your help! I will look into this when I have time :slight_smile:

Thanks, it just means what the nginx.conf already correctly configured and app.yml contains that directive too :smile:

It’s been a while, but for the record, we’re now on SSL here in Backstage, too! :slight_smile:

1 Like