OTSAV TV vs Controller

I’d be interested to know if any of you tech heads out their use / or have used, OTSAV (OTSDJ) and managed to find a controller that works well with it. I don’t want to get into a OTS vs OtherDJ package, I’ve had OTS since 1999 and convinced myself to keep using it once it had video capabilities from the mid 2000s. So my whole collection is unfortunately the native .OTS format.

Having said that I’m looking to find a controller that will map to OTS quite easily, I have very limited knowledge of the midi control stuff so not sure if any controller will suffice. I’m currently chewing the fat over the Pioneer Pro DDJ-1000 or the Denon MCX8000

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated. I’ve been looking at streams on here where you chaps make using these controllers look easy, it seems much better than the Keyboard / Mouse / Stream Deck configuration I’m using now

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 Like

I haven’t used it sorry. Regards and welcome.

1 Like

Hey RetroJock. I’ve played with the software in trial, but never stuck with it. From the website they seem to recommend a few specific controllers. They also say you can map any midi controller to it, but I would tell you midi mapping can be tedious and depending on the editor sometimes connfusing. However, with some perserverance, it can be done.

These two links on the OST website may provide some help. It seems the controllers they speak of in the hardware page, may be the best mapped…the best one listed IMO with modern features is the Denon MC6000MK2.

https://otsav.ots7.com/dj-solutions-midicontrol/
https://otsav.ots7.com/midi-hardware-control-maps/
https://otsav.ots7.com/midi-hardware-control-updates/

Hope this helps.

RD

Hi riddimdojo! Thanks for the reply, yep, looked at that info sometime ago and must admit sort of brushed past it as it mentioned coding etc. I suppose its time for me to ‘man up’ and get to grips with it, don’t want to spend £1000 on a controller that ends up being an expensive deck start / stop device only. I’ve been looking at the Denon range which in my opinion looks like best bang for buck

ATB!

Mike

2 Likes

Yesss… there are pros and cons to be honest but… yesss

You can read my pros and cons here Experiences from Denon Engine Prime? Any practical question before deciding, just let me know. I don’t work for Denon by the way hahaha, I just made some comparison and test before moving from Traktor to Pioneer (great brand also) or Denon.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t4: I don’t know sorry

Continuing the discussion from OTSAV TV vs Controller:

Thanks TDV, interesting thread, I appreciate your views, it seems their isn’t yet the perfect utopia when it comes to choosing a controller, it seems to all bolt around what software you are using (Unless you go for the stand alone systems) Denon, like Pioneer have been solidly in the market for a number of decades which gives some sort of confidence that development is on going and resources easier to access. I think what ever brand I go for, some tweaking involving gallons of coffee, beer and harsh language may be required to get it to work with the software I’m stuck with, but hey, it’ll be boring if everything just worked straight out of the box wouldn’t it :joy:

Mike

1 Like