Opinion about the invitation process

Hi. I joined here 3 weeks ago as I was looking for a stable platform to stream from. I haven’t had an opportunity to try your service as no one provided me with an “invite”

I have to say I am quite disappointed and a bit unsure of what you are trying to achieve here.

I think you have missed a fantastic opportunity to really build the profile and use of your platform during this time.

I think you at making it too complicated for people to use your platform. Having to sign up, leave messages and effectively beg for a trial is just way too complicated.

It’s almost like you want to keep this service secret rather than increase the visibility. I would have quite happily paid to trial this service as it would have solved my problem - but in fact, I am no further forward.

I have used Mixcloud Live now a number if time’s successfully and although in BETA mode, it is very stable and easy to navigate. That have licensing agreements in place so no muting or takedowns mid stream. They also provide a monetisation stream so people can pay to listen to your mixes etc (if you have the profile)

They spotted a gap in the market and provided the solution so to pay them £9 a month for that problem to go away is value for money.

I also believe Facebook is shortly to announce a new deal which has overcome the licensing issue and will allow streaming -

This will likely impact the migration to Mixcloud but for now, it is the only alternative available and so is gaining a lot of support.

I fear you may have missed the perfect opportunity to make a mark with this platform as the global lockdown would have handed you the customers and audience on a plate.

I appreciate you are not running this for financial gain but I would suggest you relax some of the complex sign up system and get people on your platform, using the software and raising awareness.

This is not meant as a rant or complaint, more of an honest overview of how this is for the end user.

Regards

OMAR

2 Likes

This kind of sums everything with your experience.

You see the invitation process as begging, instead of maybe reading about it from this very forum where it has been explained many times over why we need our new DJs to learn the basics.

I really hope other platforms step up their game so we get some proper competition, for all DJs sake.

In my opinion we need feature-rich and deeply integrated services as well. And just like it takes some time to learn a complex instrument, it takes some learning to get the basics from Slipmat as well. Again, we are in private beta which means that everything is in flux all the time, and again, we don’t have the luxury of a highly paid development team and customer support department. But what we do have is an awesome community and everything we do here is for the betterment of the worldwide DJ community, not for money :slight_smile:

And boy do I know we have still some rough edges, and that is the very reason for the private beta, reserved to those individuals who opt in to read documentation and participate in the community. If that feels begging, it’s not for you.

4 Likes

You are not alone, it seems that after a few months of popping my head in here and trying to even navigate the site I’m getting nowhere. I gather I have to follow a DJ playing music I don’t like, to hopefully be able to catch them live, so I can watch them playing stuff I don’t like and talk to someone, just to get an invite to stream. All this before I can even find out if the site will work for me. Just when I think I’m getting somewhere I’m pointed to Discord, that for some reason hates me as I cannot create any kind of account there without getting kicked out.

Like you I would happily pay for a service that works (Mixcloud is still not there sadly) but I too see this as begging and yet here I am still trying to find a way in to find out if this works. I understand there is stuff to read, I’ve read it, and I’m still trying to sort it out almost 6 months later. With a regular, large, crowd of followers on Twitch, and being part of a 48 strong team of DJ’s who may well follow me here, it seems crazy that we can’t even be given access to see if it suits.

Hi @martinoldgoth, have you read How to start streaming in less than 5 minutes? Have you posted your invitation page to the invitation chat or contacted any mentors about your invitation?

It seems that 9 out of 10 of our new DJs get in in a day or two, and then there are some who can’t seem to figure things out. Not sure what to do about it as the process has been documented very thoroughly and the vast majority of new users have no problems whatsoever. Any tips would be appreciated :+1:

(And I’m sure that if you post your status page to the invitation channel on our chat, you’ll get invited asap.)

Yes, several times. It just seems to be that as soon as anything involves looking at Discord I’m screwed (not your fault, something wrong there), and a lot of things point there. I seem to be stuck on the ‘participating in an event’ stage at the moment, with so many DJ’s that I do follow streaming elsewhere drawing my attention away from anything here, I stand no chance of catching an event in order to satisfy the requirement, even for a short while in order to get that last thing on my profile (or whatever it’s called) to turn from red to green! I’l try posting again as you suggest though and see what happens, thanks!

If you happen to be in a wrong timezone or otherwise engaged with your actual life, catching a live event might be difficult these days as most of traffic is pretty peaky across few timezones. I just fired up a dummy invitation event for this purpose, which also has a good chat that helps communicating. Feel free to pop in, if only to turn that requirement green:

Thank you, really appreciate the help. One last thing, how do I find that dummy invite?
Edit: found it, thought that was a signature!