Interesting Take

I found an article on BPMSupreme from 2016 that tried to classify the various “styles of DJ”. Central to the piece was this diagram listing the styles and drawing a relationship between certain styles (and not others):
BPM-SUPREME_5TYPES-of-DJ_2

What do you guys think of the implications of this Venn? Are there any missing styles that should be added?

4 Likes

Only thing that diagram speaks to me is that the “Superstar DJ” is probably very different in the minds of DJ versus the larger audience. As a DJ I have few idols who indeed are versed in many different areas, many being producers as well and definitely know a lot more than just the basic club thing. But I have a feeling that if you would ask random a person from the street to name a superstar DJ they would say Paris Hilton or something in the lines of that :smiley:

1 Like

Oh its got to be Kevin & Perry for the UK! :smiley:

1 Like

So, according to this, as a music producer it’s unlikely you are also radio DJ (let’s AVB or others, I know, not exactly Radio… but what is Radio nowadays?) and no likely to be a Mobile DJ?

I don’t fully agree or I’m missing something.

I love music production and mobile DJing, because I don’t feel being in a club till 7am shapes me. Of course not in the 100 TOP DJs neither producers in the Industry, hahaha.

1 Like